Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I Love the V.A.



When you think of the Veteran's Administration of the United States of America you don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling, do you?

I do.

My first time there, in Brockton Massachusetts:

"What's your name?”

“Last four of your Soash?"

“Huh?” Social Security number!

I was weighed. "Same weight as 1963?" And then asked a battery of around 100 questions.

“When did you serve?”
“Where did you serve?”
“What branch?”
“Did you see combat?”
“How much alcohol do you drink daily?”
“More than 5?”
“Do you use drugs?”
“Have you ever been sexually assaulted?”
“Any mental problems?”

Then I had a complete physical. And I mean complete. Up to floor #4 for eight (my favorite number) for 8 . . . hmmm . . . xrays. Down to floor #2 for urine and blood samples. Floor #1 for photo ID and I am at liberty to leave -- but not before hearing at every step of the way, "Thank you for serving."

The whole process took two hours and 15 minutes. I wait that long for my regular primary care physician for one appointment.

I love going there. They do not talk on cell phones. Everyone wears a service ball cap, NONE OF THEM BACKWARDS, showing which branch of the armed services they were part of -- Marines, Air Force, Navy, Navy Seals, Green Berets, Seabees, Army, Army Paratroopers.

Speaking of paratroopers – yah, they jump out of moving airplanes -- my friend Rich Busa, who was a paratrooper in Korea, just had his cataract surgery. At 81 years old he now has 20/20 vision. He was the one who first turned me on to the VA.

With my VA card I save 10% at Lowe’s and Home Depot. We are working on BJ's. Any prescription for one month costs $9. They went up from $8 recently. I overheard one vet say his prescriptions were costing him $210 per month. The VA person responded, "Well now they will cost you $9.00 per month. And you can get 3 months at a time by mail, no big deal.”

I have high blood pressure BUT PERFECT CHOLESTEROL and they are treating me with pills which are creating side effects. My wife Sandy was recently cured of her high blood pressure by acupuncture. I asked if I could be treated with acupuncture. The VA submitted my “outside of the VA” request and now I have 8 . . . hmmm . . . acupuncture treatments scheduled outside of the VA. I love the VA!

Faith restored.
Bacon Robert F. CEW2 USN Seabee's 693-10-63

My service number.
10 signifies the month.
63 signifies the year that I joined up.
It was October 1963, right before President John F. Kennedy was assassinated. Where were you? In college?
Personally, I had NO idea what to do with my own life.
Were you in Viet Nam already? You had already served in Korea or even WWII? In high school or not even born yet? Possibly not even thought of yet?

Did I mention that they ALWAYS say, "Thanks for serving?"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Bob,
That Navy ID card with your picture on it looks like one of those nazi doctors who performed all of those experiments on prisoners during WWII. I would have never guessed it was you.
Rich

Unknown said...

Hey Bob,
That navy ID card looks like one of those nazi doctors from WWII who performed all of those experiments on prisoners. I would never have recognized you.Rich

paul said...

This seems to be a ringing endorsement of one of the few parts of our health system that can be appropriately categorized as "socialized medicine."