Friday, December 24, 2010

My (Former) Little Town

Without fail, around Christmas for the whole 43 years of our marriage, Walter Zepka of Zepka Florists would call at 7 or 8 at night and ask for Alexandra Zabek. Sandy would come to the phone.

"Alexandra do you want poinsettias at St. Stan's midnight mass in memory of your Dad, Jimmy Zabek?"

She always answered, "tak, dobry dobry," and then dziekuje (yes and thank you) gin koo yah. You always say good twice. I don't know why. I am only one half Polish.

"How are you?"
"Dobry, dobry."

Zepka's closed this year. I know because we never got that phone call. Sandy's cousin Joan Brodalski confirmed it when she sent us the little newspaper clipping stating that after 101 years, Zepka's was no more.

Here is a photo that our son in law, Chris Bernstein, took of Saint Stanislaus Kostka Church. You called it the Polish church if you were from the little town of Adams, Massachusetts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So poignant, yet so warm. Well told. A fine Christmas post, Bob. Thank you.

Interesting that on FB, my son-in-law has been documenting JM's days-long preparation of a Polish Christmas feast.

I don't know how to say it in Polish (I'm 0.00% Polish), but ¡Feliz Navidad!