Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Way of Saint James


My daughter Marnie and I are considering very seriously of walking the Camino de Santiago next fall in northern Spain. It starts in a French town in the Pyrenees called Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. Then you travel west to Santiago de Compostela, the cathedral where the apostle James the Greater's bones are.

The walk is also referred to as The Way. I thought that the movie was awful but I like the whole idea of the distance. The walking, the food, the cold beer, the coffee, the wine of Rioja, the fountains in the town squares, the other  pilgrims from all over the world, the weight of our mochilas (backpacks), the hostels or refugios, the Roman-built bridges, the sights, the Gothic and Roman stone churches along the full length, the sunflowers and the wheat fields, the air -- but especially the stars.



When I was still on Facebook, Marnie posted that she was trying to talk me into it. She said that I had run 54,000 miles and asked if I had another 500 left in my tank.

I just finished reading a book, "The Field of Stars," about an American Roman Catholic priest who did it in 35 days. It was very well written, very interesting, and easy to read. Marnie is finishing another on El Camino and we will trade later today. But we are both already hooked.

Perhaps there will be a blog of the experience.      

It will be our very first pilgrimage.

Buen Camino, Vayan con Dios            
Tocino

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go! The experience cannot fail to be blog-worthy, but to spend that time with your daughter is priceless. I envy you.

Unknown said...

It sounds sooo exciting that I would love to join you, except that I might not have more than two days of walking left in me. Carmen