Thursday, December 6, 2012

Quick notes: J.W. Schultz

-->


J.W. Schultz, also known by his Blackfoot name Apikuni, was a noted author, explorer, Glacier National Park guide, fur trader and historian of the Blackfeet Indians.

The first book he wrote I am reading now, in 2012:  "My Life as an Indian." This is a really easy book to read, and you feel as though you were there. It is full of fascinating stories of the Blackfeet, Arickaree and Crow Indians. I am halfway through the book.



He wrote his first book at age 48. It was first published in parts in Field and Stream magazine.

He wrote 32 books altogether.

He married a Piegan Blackfoot named Natahki, and is buried in his Indian wives’ family cemetery in Browning Montana. They had a son.

One of the features named by him is Going to the Sun Mountain in Glacier National Park.

Features named for him are: Apikuni Creek, Apikuni Flat, Apikuni Falls, and Apikuni Mountain.

He was born in the Adirondacks, in Booneville New York, to a wealthy family in 1859. The house still stands and has a historical plaque on it.

James Willard Shultz died in 1947 at age 88.

You can purchase the first book at Amazon. Or I will lend it to you.

I am saving my favorite books for Abel in my casita. Inside each book I write when I read it and -- if it was a gift -- who it was from. This one easily makes the list.


Bob "Medicine Weasel" Bachan

No comments: