Sunday, December 22, 2013

A Sunday in December

Dear Carlos,

It is 60 degrees today -- December 22, 2013.  We have the windows and doors open to air the houses and garages out. It was ALSO a great time to clean out the wood stove.

I guess my timing on the Bob's World Christmas release was bad. I have only heard from you and from Carol my barber.  One "Four Star," one "Quit While You're Ahead." Flaco stopped by yesterday and he said he has been listening on his long commute to work. He always responds to everything, but at his pace. He did make a remark about enjoying Paulo Conte.

Flaco's daughter Emily and her husband Eric are up from South Carolina. Eric & Flaco came down the driveway yesterday afternoon. They had 3-year-old Alec and 6-year-old Neil with them. I told them I recognized their faces but had forgotten their names. So we played "Guess What My Name Is." I wasn't even close, so the boys helped me by telling me the first letter of their names. It was their idea. I looked at Neil and asked, "You are Nelson Mandela?" I never was good at games.

Sandy and the girls have started a new annual family tradition. It is called Pierogi Day, the Saturday before Christmas. It will honor Sandy's paternal Babci, Aniela Pater Zabek. Sunday will be called Clean Up After Pierogi Making Day.

I got Roger, the trapper, a book on snipers. It made the NYC best list. I ALSO got one for myself. I left his book in his refrigerator. There should be a D in the word refrigerator.

One of my goals this winter was to fill the photo albums. I was up to Abel's birthday (May 17). I have filled 6 albums this past week. This morning I will put in the photos from our South Massachusetts Coast wine trip which included New Bedford and all the whaling stuff.

This morning in the Boston Sunday Globe -- it is one of Boston's daily newspapers -- there is a blurb that starts out with "25." That's the number of hours it takes to read Melville's legendary novel MOBY DICK aloud, as a rotating roster of volunteers will demonstrate starting at noon on January 4 at the New Bedford Whaling Museum. Lectures and chats with Melville scholars on Friday and Sunday bracket the read-a-thon. You should do a Christmas vacation in New England and then we can take this in next year.    (p.s. Charles is a little crazy for Moby Dick.)

Back to the albums. Brant Lake alone took two and a half albums. Sandy took some really awesome photos at the lake this summer. Especially of the skies. Rainbows and double rainbows, rain and early morning fog. Loons. Lots of loons. Two more albums and I will be forced to stop for now. That should bring me up to Thanksgiving. I have, so far, 129 photo albums that the kids will certainly throw out a month after we are gone. Once again the boat house at Brant Lake New York is booked solid for 2014.

- Don Tocino,  . . . keeper of the family photos, activity and former party planner, can collector -- over 22,000 this year alone, squirrel control expert (I bought my first controller when I was 13), street litter expert, and very personal news sender to the lonely. I ALSO am a pretty good two stepper. Although vacation planning is my specialty. 82 days planned away for 2014. Four states, four countries so far . . . Thank you Pfizer stocks. Like Frank Sinatra sang, "It was a VERY good year."




No comments: