Sunday, August 7, 2016

Luigi

-->
 

Everyone by now knows that I grew up in the Eetalian section of my little town.

Malioni, Monchecci, Carnazola, Tomasini, Delagelpha, Salvada, Decenci, Balardini, Volpe, Smachetti, Bianci, Garofano, Ciccetti, Sondrini, Bongiolatti and Certelli. Most worked at New England Lime Company and most came directly from Italy, north of Lucca and Pisa, where the marble quarries still are today.

Louis Bongiolatti was the leader and organizer. They came to Adams with their familias because they were promised work. Simple as that.

Even today I have many Italian friends. Busa, Santacroce, Demore, Cerri, Boretti, Buccheri, Buccafusca, Candito, Caramello, Lazzaro, Solari, Sanguedolce, Urbati and Pelkowski. I just wanted to see if you were still listening with Pelkowski.

Normal first names were Etalo, Cecelia, Reno, Rosetta, Aldo, Aldino, Santino, Hugo, Maxamiliano, Giovanni and Ippol.

There once was a gardener on the Naval Air Station where I lived for three years. His name was Luigi. He walked with a severe limp, one foot being way shorter than the other. He reeked of fresh garlic. He was 83 when I met him. In the Navy, no one went by their first name, but Luigi liked me and called me Bill. I corrected him once or twice but it did not work.

One-a day he says-a to mee . . . “Bill, I hear you geta married."

I said I did.

“Bill, what kind of a girl you marry -- Eetalian girl?"

No.

He rubbed his chin. "A French girl?"

No.

“BILL, WHAT KIND OF A GIRL YOU MARRY !!"

A Polish girl.

“A POLISH GIRL!"  That answer stopped Luigi cold.     

He thought, he hesitated, he rubbed his chin and said, “She be OK." 

That conversation stays with me, and I quote it word for word.

I have been married 49 years to that Polish girl, Alexandra Zabek. Luigi was right.


Roberto Baconi   90 Howland Avenue Adams Massachusetts 01220

No comments: