Friday, October 28, 2016

Truckload

-->

First thing every morning I walk out to the Gurnet, which is in Plimoth Harbour, from the Powder Point Bridge. Well, second thing. First I have a coffee and a donut, which is why I have to walk out to the Gurnet every morning. Spaced equally along the beach road in Duxbury are two latticed sheds that in the summer hold porta-potties. As I walk, I clean the beach and lug everything to these two locations. Once a week I drive down the isthmus gravel road and haul everything out with my pickup truck. Ohh, . . . isthmus is a great spelling word!

Here is my load for this week.
• 5 sandals, no matches found
• 7 orange plastic woven bags. To lure lobsters into the traps? Only a guess.
• 2 worn out red bricks. I collect bricks. Doesn’t everyone?
• 78 cans and bottles. Many are filled with beach sand and even unreadable.
• 3 long planks. I think I recognized one from Hurricane Sandy – the one that hit Joisey.
• 2 ballcaps. One with no markings. The second one is from the Hartford Marathon. It more than likely was NEVER worn backwards.
• 3 Happy Birthday balloons. I see a lot of these.
• children’s beach tools. I find many shovels.
• yellow pails … one
• 87 pieces of oak firewood, partially burned. Each piece is exactly the same length. My guess is that it is from beach firewood purchased at 7-11, but I do not know for sure.
• 57 pieces of plastico. Harper’s Magazine says that by 2050, the weight of the plastic in the ocean will be the same weight as the fish that are swimming in the ocean. They could be lying to me. But why would they? By the way, I would NEVER lie to you, mi amor.


by Bob "Dent" Bacon     

Actually I am not even making a dent in the litter, but it makes me feel good.

No comments: