Thursday, September 7, 2017

A Light Overview of the Bachand/Bacon/Lemanski/Zaik/Zabek Families


In 1976 / 1977 I started my family history research while living in Marshfield, Massachusetts. This was before computers. In 1956 our house telephone number was 743-W. At first I interviewed relatives that were still alive. Right away I found out that the dead ones did not have a lot to say. I also visited the National Archives in Waltham and in Pittsfield, Massachusetts. The microfilm on the 1900 Adams Massachusetts census was chock full of pertinent information about the Bacon family of Brown Street, Zylonite. Thank you Chuck.

 
Bacon Family circa 1890-1900. Only known photograph of Charles Francois Bachand.
My educated guess is that this was taken in front of the current Lime Company. It was easy to guess the year by the baby. In my time there were cute small houses lining Howland Avenue along with the beautiful Dutch elm trees of years ago. Three generations of Bacons worked at “The Lime Company.” Annie Boudo’s gravestone is a piece of marble taken from New England Lime Company in Uncle George’s automobile, and resides in upstate New York. I can prove it. I have photos and Uncle George’s letters.

In 1900, Charles Frank Bacon deserted his wife (I have never have been able to find a marriage license), Anna Agnes Boudo, and six children -- the oldest, Charles, being 15, and the youngest, Leda Hattie, at six months. Can you imagine this?  The full story on the desertion is in one of the sons’, George Washington Bacon of Florida, letters to Robert Francis Bacon. Hand written on both sides of unlined paper by George, and I saved every letter. They are all on that fine crispy type paper.

The best tip: Great Uncle George Bacon -- one of my grandfather Frank’s brothers -- gave me was that his father came from Saint Hyacinthe in Canada. Grampa Frank always said, “Boys will be boys, and you boys are more trouble than all my money.” He never had much money. Armed with this information I hired, by letter, for $12 dollars an hour, a Mrs. John Cordeirre of Canada. She found no Charles Frank Bacon in Saint Hyacinthe but said, “the name Bacon in Canada is pronounced Back-ON, and did I want to spend another $12 dollars to check that out?” I did, and she found him. Charles Francois Bachand (the “d” is silent) our real last name. Born in August 1856 in Saint Hyacinthe, Canada. That was fairly easy.

We now have that Bachand line all the way back to Saint Cloud, southerly outside the city of Paris in 1646. Nicholas was the first to settle in Can-a-DA. He was a French soldier, and twenty nine years of age when he married a lass of fourteen. Now there are four thousand of us. Most from my brother Michael Allan Bacon.

Sandy and I went to the church in Saint Cloud (sann-CLUUD) that they more than likely attended. I filled a church collection envelope with francs and asked for information on my family. It took two years before a letter, written in French, was delivered to 110 Stagecoach Drive, Marshfield, Massachusetts. Our daughter Kezia had a French teacher who deciphered it for us. Had to Google deciphered -- lo siento. It said that all their church records were burned during the French Revolution, but thanks for the dough. Actually the research goes back to Belgium, but France just sounds more foreign and sexier.

Statement. The best solid family information you can get is through personal interviews. For instance. I was told by my Polish/American mother Nora Lemanski Bacon and her four sisters -- my father called this group the Pentagon -- that their mother had walked from her village in northern/west Poland on the Russian border while pregnant with my Aunt Blanche, for two days, to Gdansk, to catch a steamship, the White Line, to the United States. As soon as her husband knew she was safe, he would desert the Russian army and make his way to the U.S. Up until July 2017 I told that story over and over again. Especially with Wladislaw Lemanski’s stories of “sleeping in snow 20 degrees below zero on Russian ski patrol.” Walter had a gold tooth on his front left side. He had a nice smile, but I got the feeling that you would not want to cross him. His eyes were a beautiful blue. My dad, Francis “Joe” Bacon, and our daughter, Marnie Bacon, have them. Check it out. Why would I lie to you? The favorite movie star of my maternal grandmother, Alexandra Zaik, was Bustom Crap. Buster Crabbe for all you youngsters. Tarzan, etc. World-class swimmer.

Good story, right? But was it true? No it was not. Dawn says we have Jewish blood. I say we do not. She says she is a biology teacher and we do. OK, I guess we do. My DNA test is hurtling towards me at this very minute.

Dawn Biagini Valenti of Pittsfield, Massachusetts -- one of my younger brother Mike’s children, found the United States entry reports. Alexandra Zaik probably was pregnant, but was not married, and was traveling with her older sister, Mary. Written sideways across the Ellis Island N.Y. report, it simply says, “Sisters.” I saw this with my own eyes. Oh and they did not come through Gdansk, Poland -- they came through Antwerp, Belgium. Which also explains why I could not trace my wife Sandra’s Polish grandmother, Aniela Pater Zabek, because she also came through Antwerp, when she was only sixteen. She did travel by herself. Can you imagine her trip?  She never did learn to speak English. Her husband was a butcher, across from the Saint Stanislas Kostka Polish Church on the corner of Hoosac Street and Summer Street. If you are not related, you can stop reading because it only gets crazier.

In 19??, I received a phone call from Mary Ann Coppens of Manitowac, Wisconsin. She is related to John Bouda, a brother of Anna Agnes Boudo. Dawn says her last name was Boudreau, with two official forms to prove it, but I disagree intensely. Yah, I know. Just to confuse us, they changed the spelling for male/female. Here in the U.S. it would be Robert or Roberta. Or even in Mexico. Someone in the family went to Bohemia and traced that whole side of the family and Mary Ann graciously shared all her information with me. I gave her, and her daughter Kathy, a tour of Adams.

In 2012, purely on a hunch, with no facts to back it up, I asked my good friend from Scituate, Massachusetts, Barbara Sylvester, to check Rhode Island for the Charles Bachands. Within fifteen minutes, she was back to me with her findings through Ancestry.com. Charles Francois Bachand and his wife Rosalie and two or three sons, two of which have the same first names as the deserted family of Brown Street, Adams, in the 1910 census of Central Falls R.I. The factories of Rhode Island in the 1900’s are filled with French speaking Canadians.

For seven years I try to get more information with no luck. Out of the blue on our house phone on June 29, 2017 at 10:32 am we receive a call from Dawn Biagini Valenti, claiming to be my niece. A likely story. Dawn B.V.  -- just one of my brother’s daughters -- finds a C.F. Bachand in Canada, married to a woman named Rosalie in 1888? My thick Polish brain does not at this time make the connection. So C.F. Bachand was married before he came to the U.S. and actually had two women pregnant at the same time. This is familiar. A women in Can-a-DA, Rosalie, and one in South Hadley Falls, Massachusetts, Annie, a domestic from Bohemia. Charles was a canvasser, which means door-to-door salesman. Did he walk? Did he have a car, or a horse and wagon? What did he sell? Insurance? Furniture? Silverware? How did he get back and forth to Canada? From Albany to Montreal is 221.1 miles. I don’t know. Why the hell did they move to Savoy before Adams? Even today, Savoy is desolate. Low rent? Hiding out?

Early on, I somehow find the address of the very first place that the Bacons lived after Savoy, in Adams. The first one I did not recognize the name. It started with a “k,” but I left Adams over 54 years ago. It was Kipper Avenue, actually. August 2017 I receive an Adams Historical Society newsletter. In it there is a story about a street in the Zylonite section of Adams that was changed, because of a battle in France, where Adams men beat the Germans that they were apposing in WWI. The name of that French town was Apremont. I grew up on Howland Avenue, only two streets from Apremont Street. Kezia says Apremont means “at the base of the mountain.” Apremont is currently, in fact, at the base of Mount Greylock. ZowieBatman!  

P.S. There are only six streets in Zylonite. The first Bacons lived there (Kipper/Apremont) initially, then Howland Avenue, a couple of times, and finally Brown Street, named after L.L. Brown, a company in Adams.

So July 2017 -- I have found Charles Francois Bachand living in Central Falls R.I. The 1910 and 1920 censuses say it is true. I would never lie to you, Mi Amor. For the past five years I have somehow been collecting R.I. obits. They are piled on my desk. I call the R.I historical number, but no one ever answers. Time to declutter. One night I bring them down to my casita, beyond the swimming pool, where I sleep, and start to sort through them. One page in my handwriting is the name Rosalie. OH MY GOD! Rosalie of Canada and Rosalie of Central Falls are the same person. Search suspended. Now I know where he went after the desertion. I think.

Monday, Labor Day -- Sandy and I will explore Central Falls Rhode Island. We will look at the falls, just like Charles and Rosalie did. “Walk down the same streets that your grandparents did,” says the old travel ad. We will walk up and down Fuller Avenue until we come to 9A. Will a Bachand answer the door? What would the reaction be of his six children and wife in Adams to this 117-year-old mystery? Every single abandoned child thought that someday he would return, especially Mother. The Bacon children referred to their parents as Mother & Father. Uncle George often said, “His father was of fine carriage.” What would beautiful Rosalie think?  We will never know. Or will we? My work here is done, and I am moving on.

Nos vemas mas tarde.

Robert Francis Bacon, or Robert Francois Bachand, or Roberto Francisco Tocino          
August 30, 2017         
I am totally confused

No comments: