Saturday, November 11, 2017

Gurnet & Saquish 2017

-->

Buenos dias amigos y amigas. It is so foggy this morning that you cannot see from one end of the Gurnet Bridge to the other. Ok, ok, you call it the Powder Point Bridge, but the sign says Gurnet Bridge 1898. The every-other-day walk out to The Gurnet is uneventful. Almost no one is on Duxbury beach today because of the cloud cover, except for a few fishermen from the shore.

I decide to take the pot-holed gravel road back to where my pickup truck is parked. Almost immediately I come upon about 30 Boy Scouts, possibly walking out to the Gurnet Lighthouse to sit and have lunch. Around the lighthouse it is all grass, and the dirt mounds protect you from the wind. In 1776 there were six cannon here that fired on an English warship. My barber Carol says you can rent the lighthouse and sleep overnight. How much fun would that be?




Sandy and I were at the Plymouth or Gurnet Light last Saturday with Robin and David Armstrong. We sat in chairs on their strip of sandy beach property, facing Plimoth Harbour. It is only three miles from here to where the Mayflower is floating. Warm food, cool drinks . . .  September on Saquish. Wow! What a treat! 






On the way out, it was a full Harvest moon so David drove us past the foxes and rabbits, right up to the lighthouse. November will bring snowy owls and coyote. The past two nights in the casita I have been serenaded by two owls. One is a saw-whet and I didn’t get the second one’s name. Maybe a boreal. Who-who was it?

Just before Tall Pines, even though I am wearing earplugs, and before I can say Bob Marley, I hear steel drum music. My first thought is Duxbury teenagers, sitting in their Jeep with reggae rather than rap music, just over the second beach cross over.  That was my first thought. My other three thoughts were …

• Because of the hurricane, the music is coming up all the way from Foxy’s on Jost Van Dyke


• There must be a Morgan, pirate-looking, sailboat sitting off Clark's Island.


Or . . .

• There is a older gent, driving his old pickup slowly, while pulling horizontally a large steel I-beam, which is smoothing out the gravel road from the bridge to Saquish.

Google says Foxy’s was leveled last week. There is no wind for a sailboat this beautiful morning.

So what do you think I heard?

- Tocino         
A friend to the universe -- just don’t break the beautiful silence by greeting me

--
P.s.
Saturday October 28, at the Gurnet Bridge. I am walking out toward the Gurnet Light once again. It is the oldest wooden lighthouse in these United States. Of the 33 parking spaces, there are only seven available at the west end of the wooden bridge in Duxbury, Massachusetts. Well not really. All seven are full, but I kind of squeeze in and hope for no ticket. Denzel Washington is shooting his new movie, called Equalizer 2. Columbia Pictures has been shooting on Boylston Street in Boston, but they have a large set in the Brant Rock section of Marshfield. Rumor has it he is staying near the Fairview Inn, at a summer rental house called Shangri-La, on Ocean Street.

Monday they are shooting at the Powder Point Bridge, and that is why all the parking spaces are full. One of the larger trucks says on its side “Rain For Rent.” The pipes run right into Duxbury Bay . . .  to pull the rain water, I guess. There are porta-potties and a golf cart that says “Production” on it. Maybe the coolest things are the wind machines.

Did you catch the movie “The Way Way Back,” with Steve Carell? The Gurnet 1895 or Powder Point Bridge is in this film too. Carell plays a real rat in that one. You might enjoy it. Being the way you are. Just kidding. He owns the General Store in Marshfield Hills.


P.p.s.

• Dennis from North Carolina and North Adams is writing a book that will include a story about a kid that I grew up with, Russell Roulier, a grunt Marine, who was killed in a foxhole that was overrun in Viet Nam. He found me from a blog that I did seven years ago. YCMTS up.

• Yesterday I had lunch at El Sarape with an Army veteran of Viet Nam.

• I almost got in a fight at a bar in the liberty town of Oxnard California while in the Navy Seabees near Port Hueneme, California.  That was my closest scrape. I did manage to get Tex Ritter’s autograph.

• I told you already about the phone call at the end of June. “Hello. When I was 16, my mother told me that your brother is my father? You could say that that has sort of filled up the summer.

- Bob Bacon          
the very first person to EVER say  "you can’t make this stuff up." (I even edged out my friend Tom Donovan, who was the very first person to develop the Five Second Rule about dropped food.)

No comments: