Wednesday, December 23, 2009

My Christmas Story (2009)



Last night Sandy and I drove home in a real New England blizzard, all the way from Providence. 20 miles an hour on RTE 3 ?!?



We have 14 inches of snow this morning but it is still snowing. Abel is happy because Santa will be using his sleigh on Christmas Eve.



It took me an hour just to shovel off the wood decks. The birds came out of everywhere for the seed I put out. Red Cardinals against the white snow.



My cousin from Wisconsin was most enchanted by our Blue Jays when she visited here. Titmice, House Sparrows, Nuthatches, Chickadees, Catbirds, Mourning Doves, Juncos, Woodpeckers of all kinds – Hairy, Red Headed, Red Bellied and the beautiful Flicker.







It made me feel like Saint Francis of Assisi. We even had a red wing blackbird. That usually is a sure sign of spring but not in this case.

I came in for dry clothes and to stoke the fire and to take a break and check my e-mails.

Heard a snow blower and looked out my window and what did I see? Joe Pelkowski, who I had words with yesterday over his excessive power tool noise, is snow blowing our 75 foot driveway. An old fashion neighbor. Imagine doing something like that for someone.



Joe was at my big party four years ago. When the hired bartender left at 2 AM, Joe stepped behind the bar and took over. What is this world coming to?

I am reading my New Mexican amigo’s weekly" Bus Story" blog. Today, Domingo, it is featuring the town Sandy and I grew up in, and especially the church that we were married in 42 years ago. It is a fine story. You can read it here.

Make sure you see all the photos of St. Stan’s. I was wondering how he was going to tie a Bus Story to Adams, Massachusetts. Read it and see. You just could become a regular Sunday reader. So many of our friends have. What a fine start to the holidays. Christmas is looking really good this year!





2 comments:

JM said...

Lovely photos! Of the humans and the birds!

Carmen said...

Nice pictures of you and your family. How fortunate to have all these different types of birds right in your back yard. Some time ago, we used to have visitors like that but after Katrina we inherited four cats and now the birds stay away even though Chet still feeds them.