Monday, February 8, 2010

Leadville, Colorado

South of Denver was quite literally "a field of dreams." From the time Placer miners found gold in California Gulch in 1860, hope flooded the area as high as the ten- thousand-foot peaks. The real boom began in 1877 when silver carbonate beds were discovered, and by 1880 Leadville boasted 120 saloons, 118 gambling halls, 110 beer gardens, and 35 brothels, besides churches, schools, department stores, a plethora of other businesses, 3 newspapers and a gunfighter / dentist from Georgia who arrived by way of Tombstone Arizona. You can't make up stuff like this.

From the book "The Life and Legend of Doc Holliday" by Gary L. Roberts

Mi amigo Tom Egan loves the southwest as much as I do. He showed me around Leadville several years ago. I wanted to have a drink in a real western saloon. We headed for one that had an Irish name that from the outside looked as though it could have been in South Boston or on the Irish Riviera in Marshfield. I said to Tom, "If this isn't the real thing I don't want to stay." WE STAYED. I had told Tomaso of my trip to Tombstone and of going to the Bird Cage for a drink. Because of that yarn, while traveling fairly close by, Tom had driven to Tombstone, walked into the saloon, and ordered a shot of rye whiskey, even though it was only 10 am. Tom is not a drinker, but he just didn't think the Earps, Clantons , McLaurys, Johnny Ringo, or even Doc's woman, Big Nose Kate, would think it proper to order a Diet Coke.

After the burly female bartender in Leadville warmed up to us, she asked us where we were from and what the hell brought us here. I told her that I was a runner and was scouting the Leadville 100 Mile Mountain Race. I don't remember what the Vermont 100 had for elevation, but straight south in Massachusetts Mt. Greylock is only 3,500 feet. Western States 100 in Squaw Valley California starts at an elevation of 8,800 feet above sea level and then goes down. They give you 30 hours to complete that one. Leadville starts at 10,000 feet and never goes lower. Leadville could be the toughest 100 miler in the United States. They give you 36 hours to finish.

Upon hearing that I was an Ultra Marathoner, the bartender simply responded, " Oh, you're one of those," turned and walked away. I am pretty sure she said her name was Miss Kitty.

No comments: