Sunday, April 8, 2012

Dr. John Romo

Today I pressure washed his pool patio in Mansfield and tomorrow I will seal it. I have been working for him for eleven years.

Last Saturday when I was there we got to talking. He said some thing about being from the Southwest. I asked where, and he said Santa Fe. He was raised on a ranch. He has eight other siblings. All successful. Lawyers, doctors and bankers. Mom's eighty-eight. Dad's gone.

I studied his face and asked, “Do you have any Indian blood?" He has "Yes, Navajo blood." They were from Pueblo Islita originally.

I told him we loved the Southwest and started naming some places. El Morro, Phantom Ranch, Canyon de Chelly, Leadville, any place that has hot springs, the Hopi Mesas, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Bandelier, Tent Rocks, Mesa Verde and Shiprock.

His favorite is Acoma.



YCMUSLT
R. Francisco Tocino

Noted (by Charles Gregory): Isleta Pueblo is one of the 19 pueblos of the Pueblo people and is just south of Albuquerque. The Navajo are different. However, there has been a ton of intermarriage, as you might reasonably expect. I'd bet the details of that story (Navajo from Isleta) would be just as fascinating. You have your assignment!

p.s. If you have never visited the Southwest, please do.


Bandelier




Mesa Verde




Monument Valley




Phantom Ranch




Ship Rock




Chaco Canyon

No comments: