Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Ventures

-->
I loved the Ventures. Sandy and I bought an album that was one of the first we ever purchased as a married couple. We were living in an apartment in Rockland Massachusetts, close to the Naval Air Station, South Weymouth. The year was 1967. The album had a surfer on the front as I remember, but maybe not.  


I have always assumed that they were from Ventura California. It was close to the huge Seabee base in Port Hueneme where I went to Class A School to be a construction electrician in the winter of 1965.


I will never forget when our D.I., First Class Construction Electrician Rumsey, shouted out, after school, while in ranks after our run around the base perimeter, "We have a war in Vietnam, who wants to go?" Did any of you veterans see him "in country?" He did three tours.

It was the very first time I had ever heard of that country. I remember thinking that I would prefer duty somewhere near Boston, but thank you for asking.

Bacon R.F. CEW2    693-10-63 

(My enlistment date # was 693-10-63. 10 is the month. 1963 was the year. JFK was assassinated on November 22, 1963.)


Combination lock issued at Great Lakes in Chicago at Boot Camp in 1963. The combination was 24-28-32. I still have it. It still works. So do I. Somewhat.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Turns out The Ventures had their roots in Tacoma, Washington. Interesting history of the group here: http://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-ventures-mn0000921965