Sunday, September 16, 2012

Thoughts on This Sunday's Paper

September 16, 2012

To Billy Baker,

Thank you for writing the Monson / Appalachian Trail story. It was very well written and really interesting to me. It brightened my day.

It is terrific that it made the front page of the Boston Sunday Globe today. To me it wasn't the Appalachian Trail itself that was so wonderful, but the people and veterans walking, or the people lending a hand. They were so interesting!

My wife and I grew up under Mount Greylock, which is of course a resting place for the hikers on the A.T. in extreme western Massachusetts. I have some understanding of what the through-hikers go through, having run 54,000 miles of roads and trails in my lifetime. Even if I hadn't been a runner, your story would still have moved me.

My daughter Marnie and I are planning on walking the Camino de Santiago in Spain next September. It is only one quarter of the A.T. distance. Buen camino.

Thank you for writing the article,   
Bobby Bacon

Only Mom and Aunt Blanche actually called me Bobby. Roberto Tocino is my Spanish name . . . which I only use for my e-mail address.

Please keep these kinds of stories coming. I am so tired of reading of war and politics.
http://bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/09/15/trail-angels-lighten-load-for-appalachian-trail-hikers/CQbzptXzdpUk2w8FCqH0OM/story.html

A great photo of a hiker leaning on his poles.


Mount Greylock taken from the east side of Adams Massachusetts.     

The tower on the very top of Mt. Greylock.


                   

No comments: